Saturday 2 November 2013

Being a Role Model Works Kinda!

So, this is a story about a really tiny thing that made me feel good. If you don't like smiling, sorry not sorry.

Every day during our 30 minute tea break I sit on the front stoop of the office and read. This has been my exact routine every day for the past six weeks: get out of class, refill my coffee, open my book, and eat my orange. Like goddamn clockwork. A lot of learners see what I do but continue playing. But one learner, Jerold, came and sat down next to me and started reading his bible. I couldn't help but smile. Then a little later he asked me to help him on a speech - the kids were supposed to prepare speeches on a famous person. So we went to the library and I helped him look up Nelson Mandela in the encyclopedia. We ended up having a pretty solid discussion about apartheid.

Aside from warming my little heart, the point is that being a role model works. I've had the same tea break routine for over a month. Yesterday was the first day I saw any positive consequence of doing that. It takes so much time and the results seem kind of tiny - I mean one kid? Where are his friends? - but if you get one kid, I think you can get more.

Also, not only was he comfortable enough to sit down next to me and read, he also felt comfortable enough (and cared enough) to ask for my help. Not in a "Miss, do this for me" type of way, but a genuine "hey, help me out" sort of way. Before he gave me his speech he flashed me a smile and gave me two thumbs up. So, yesterday was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment